ROWed Under -it’s been Difficult…
I should have updated my ROW80 page yesterday and posted it as a fabulous update on the ROW80 linky list; but I couldn’t, my heart was not in it -nor is it today; but I owe you guys some form of noise, so I will babble about what’s been going on (well, I’ll try)…
I was trying to find a balance between my inner and outer world -AKA as my writing and my world outside of writing; the two parts of me are not gelling as well as I hoped it would. When one goes well, the other is neglected for a while; then when one goes from bad to worse the other becomes non-existent as the guilt for messing up riddles me with many holes which I find difficult to heal.
This got me thinking how delicate and powerful our minds and emotions are. I remember one time I dreamt I was smoking a cigarette (which is rather odd for I am not a smoker and have not been –ever!); when I awoke I craved (yes you read correctly), I craved a cigarette like my life depended on it –for the next few days I planned ways to buy a pack of cigarettes (I know!); but my logic always outweighed my internal dilemmas; you don’t smoke, you are not a smoker –and cravings? Get over it! I agree -the absurdities of the whole concept; having said that, what a powerful dream… To this day I always marvel at how our brains works, it’s strength to reason with us and sway our judgement –be it positive or negative; how it weaves within our emotions and uses that to secure or weaken our decisions. A powerful tool for those who can use it wisely, a dangerous –almost destructive one for those who can’t… I will explore this is the coming weeks.
Mind over Matter
Today, I applied this to the past week and realised how I’ve been extremely self-destructing with my writing projects and personal life; it’s as if I wanted to fail and punish myself in the process. Why ruin something that is so great? I have no idea; but I realised this, the mind is strong; it helps us to be creative –which is great for our projects; but sometimes it can get too carried away and hinder our progress; we need to spot it before it’s too late and too damaging. I have decided, enough is enough and I hope that I will not slump back into negativity when one teeny tiny thing goes wrong.
My ROWed Under Update
- Blog: Sticking to the schedule as planned –therefore, no blog-burnout to report.
- WIP: By the end of ROW80 2012 (round one) I want to be in a position where I am in the process of publishing an ebook (a compilation of short stories). To start this off, over the next few weeks I will select 8-11 stories which I hope to edit until it’s nearly perfect. – STILL AT A STANDSTILL (HAVE ASKED TWO PEOPLE FOR THEIR TOP THREE, SO THAT’S SOMETHING I GUESS); I HAVE ALSO BEEN ADDING SCENES AND A SECOND-PLOT POINT FOR MY WIP BECOMING, SO THAT’S AN UNEXPECTED DEVELOPMENT.
- Tie-loose-ends: Before I went AWOL I had a few articles planned that I never managed to complete and post; therefore I intend to sort them out and post them as initially planned:
- Fun Game – It’s in Your Head. –PARTICIPANTS HAVE ADDED THEIR STORIES, THE POST WILL BE WRITTEN AND POSTED THIS FRIDAY (HOPEFULLY).
- Guest blog posts and Author Interviews I was arranging before I vanished; there’s a few people I need to get back to therefore, I will be contacting them and scheduling their articles in the relevant Friday/Sunday slot. – DONE DONE DONE! EMAILS SENT -WOO HOO! – Check out Billie Jo Woods article last Sunday and come back to read Sonia G. Medeiros’ post this Sunday.
- Catch-up on my emails (there’s a few). – 100% DONE!
ROW80 Related Aims:
- Provide weekly/fortnightly updates (depending how stretched I am). – MISSED ONE ALREADY –HOPE THAT’LL BE THE ONLY ONE!
- Visit my allocated team and do what we ROW80′ers are best at doing: Cheer, Cheer, Cheer! - FELL OFF THE WAGON THIS PAST TWO CHECK-INS (DUE TO THE REASONS GIVEN ABOVE); HOPEFULLY I WILL RECTIFY THIS IN A MO.
My Questions to You
How has your week faired? Do you also have battles with your brain and how often do you use it to your advantage? The human psyche is powerful; have you any thoughts about how it affects our day-to-day interactions?
Copyright © Ozlem Yikici 2011 & Copyright © doodllz™ 2011. All Rights Reserved.
As you already know, thoughts and comments are encouraged as always -even if it is just a word -as ‘all good discussions start with just one word’.
If there is a topic you would like me to look into and explore in my own yikici-kind-of-way then please feel free to leave a suggestion in the comment box below or for those of you who are a wee bit shy drop me a line via my contact page or email me at admin[at]yikici[dot]co[dot]uk
Care to join me for some collaborative work or want to be a guest blogger? If so, email me at the above address.
What’s to expect next at yikici: The next scheduled posts are hopefully materialising on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday; hope to see you all then…
About the author: Creative from the word go, an artist at heart – writer, poet, photographer, blogger... I am currently working on my first novel Becoming – Mystical Realisations and I have also started some research for my novella (currently does not have a title). Read more from this author